Monday, September 21, 2009

Owl Correspondence (2003)

So I'm doing a unit on non-fiction with the criminals, and we're talking about an article on owls from a magazine called "Your Big Backyard"

Now, in case you didn't know, owls swallow their prey/food whole and regurgitate all the parts they can't digest in a small pellet (my Mom's question..."So owls never poop?"...good thing the first grade didn't think of that).

Well, I laid that on the first grade, and there was a stunned and awed silence. Then:

Cynthia: Miss Victoria....owls throw up every DAY?

Teacher: Well...it's not exactly throwing up...

Class: Yes it is!!! Owls throw up all the time!

Then it got even more interesting - the science cluster teacher at my school actually owns an owl pellet. She brought it in for them to look at last period, and I couldn't get them to go home. Excited cries of "eeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwww!!!" reigned supreme, and forget coming to get your homework folder while you were examining a little leftover beak and feet from the bird the owl had caught.

So I finally got them packed up and into their big puffy coats, hats, scarves, mittens....at the end of the day I look like I'm leading an army of miniature Sta-Puff Marshmallow Men through the hall...and I take them outside to meet up with their parents.Cynthia goes running up to her mother and shouts, "MOM! DID YOU KNOW OWLS THROW UP ALL THE TIME???"

Her mother looks at me like, "Um, what are you teaching my kid?"

I smile weakly, say "Have a nice weekend," and get my ass outta there.

No comments:

Post a Comment